English Director Boot Camp
BDTI will offer its next English “Director Boot Camp” on Thursday, Apr 18th. The course is taught by the person who proposed Japan’s corporate governance code. This one-day intensive program teaches participants key legal and corporate governance knowledge they need to responsibly serve on, report to, or analyze boards of Japanese companies, both public and private. The course consists of short lectures interspersed with time for interactive discussion and Q&A about real-life situations that occur on boards, and how to handle them. The course is usually good fun for everybody, since we learn from each others’ experiences, as well as from BDTI. The course covers topics such as:
- Intro to corporate governance; the role of directors and the board
- What is legally required of directors under the Company Law?
- Important corporate law and securities law topics
- Legal and liability issues, and how to handle them
- Director duties and conflict-of-interest situations
- Statutory auditors, internal control, and the audit process
- The role of the board in strategy and risk management
- Best practices, committees, and succession planning
- Japan’s new corporate governance code
- Changing “corporate governance culture” in organizations
- The global wave of ESG investing
Please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested.
|Class Size:||Maximum of 10 persons per class|
|Time Required:||One-day course (9:30 am～17:30 pm)|
Regular price: ¥55,000 (Participating members, ¥33,000 )
|Location:||Conference room at Cosmo PR (click for map) 7F Azabu Kaisei Building,1-8-10 Azabudai Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan 〒106-0041 (This is across the street from the Russian Embassy and the Tokyo American Club.)|
Learn from the experiences of a diverse, high-level group of participants, both foreign and Japanese.
Click here to read what participants say about BDTI’s “Director Boot Camp”! Past participants include:
- Joseph Schmelzeis, President, JPS International, Inc., former corporate director, SEGA Corporation
- George Olcott, Outside Director at The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company (JPX8750), Denso Corporation (JPX6902), and Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd. (JPX4217), where he is a member of the Audit Committee
- Bill Wilder, Director, GI Capital; former External Director and Member of the Audit Committee, Monex Group (JPX8698); formerly President and CIO, Nikko Asset Management, and President, Fidelity Investments Japan
- Michael Alfant, Fusion Systems, Chairman and CEO; Independent Director, Healios (JPX4593) and Newport; ACCJ, President Emeritus; multiple past outside director positions
- Tom Eastling, Representative Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer at GNI Group Ltd. (JPX2160)
- Naoji Kato, President, Imperial Kitchen; formerly Director, Nichirei Foods, Inc.
- Gerhard Fasol, CEO at Eurotechnology Japan KK; Director and Member of the Audit Committee at GMO Cloud KK (JPX3788)
- Royanne Doi, Corporate Chief Ethics Officer and Vice President, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Laurence Bates, Chief Legal Officer and director at Panasonic; formally CLO at LIXIL Group Corporation; formerly General Counsel, GE Medical Systems Asia.
- Debbie Howard, Chairman CarterJMRN K.K. and President Emeritus, The American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ)
- Catherine O’Connell, Division Counsel, Global Micro Products Division , and Regional Counsel APAC North, Molex Japan Co., Ltd
- Jim Weisser, Co-Founder and CEO, PBXL KK; Vice President, American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ)
Your instructor, Nicholas Benes:
Representative Director, BDTI President and Representative Director, JTP Corporation, K.K. Chair, Growth Strategy Task Force, ACCJ Recent positions – Adjunct Professor, International University of Japan (MBA program); Lecturer, Hitotsubashi University Mr. Benes received his B.A. in political science from Stanford University, and a JD-MBA degree from UCLA, after which he worked at JP Morgan for 11 years. He is an inactive member of the bar in California and New York, and is certified as a securities salesman in London and Japan. He was twice-elected Governor of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ) and was long-time Chair of its FDI Committee; and presently chairs the Growth Strategy Task Force. In the past, he was active for many years as a member of the Experts Committee of the Japan Investment Council, an advisory committee to the Japanese Cabinet on FDI policy. He has served as an independent outside director at Alps Mapping, the listed company Cecile Ltd., and Livedoor Holdings (post-scandal). In total he has eight years of experience as a director of various Japanese corporations. In 2010, he was a member of the Financial Service Agency’s Corporate Governance Liaison Committee, which had been formed to provide private sector input to the Ministry of Justice and the Legal Affairs Advisory Council regarding amendment of Japanese Company Law. In 2013, Mr. Benes proposed that the LDP promulgate a Corporate Governance Code under the oversight of the FSA, a policy which was subsequently adopted as the foremost “pillar” of the government’s growth strategy. He then advised members of the diet and the FSA with regard to the drafting process and content of the corporate governance code. 「コーポレートガバナンス・コードの提案者から企業へのアドバイス」 「コーポレートガバナンス・コードが効果を発揮するために」 「上場企業が目指すべきベスト・プラクティスの行動基準を」
BDTI Director Bank
Those who have taken one of BDTI’s intensive one-day programs will be able to have their career information listed in the BDTI Director Bank. Their CV information will be available to Corporate users, in stages. See more about BDTI’s Director Bank here.